Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund, Inc. (“Lambda Legal”) is a legal organization dedicated to achieving full recognition of civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and people living with HIV or AIDS. Through landmark litigation, public education, and legal advocacy, Lambda Legal plays a crucial role in fighting sex discrimination in U.S.
Lambda Legal formed in the year 1973 after New York Court of Appeals allowed Lambda Legal to legally exist through a groundbreaking judgment [Application of Thom, 33 N.Y.2d 609 (N.Y. 1973)].
Lambda Legal works for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and people living with HIV. The purposes/aims of Lambda Legal are:
- To provide education to gay lesbian community and campaigns in favor of the community.
- To increase support for gay lesbian community rights and engage people to ensure that the rights are respected.
- To hold educational forums, seminars, rallies, conferences and workshops open to public.
- To advocate for the rights of community by bringing legal actions in courts and other forums.
- To publish a wide range of tool kits to provide the community with information and resources they need to advocate on their own behalf.
- To publish booklets, tool kits, brochures and short material on cases, issues and campaigns.
120 Wall Street, Suite 1500
New York, NY 10005-3904